Bede Centre is a place where people with learning disabilities can learn new skills, make friends, and help other people. Below are some of the things you can do at Bede Centre to make up your own personal timetable. Our services can be purchased with a personal budget or arranged through your social worker.
CHOICE SUPPORT QUALITY CHAMPIONS REPORT
Choice Support Southwark Quality Champions surveyed the Bede Learning Disabilities Project in June 2016. The Champs are a team of people with experience of using services or family carers of people using the services. They want to make life better for people who use the services too. They are experts on how support should be because they have first-hand experience of support, and of finding out how people get support to have an ordinary life. Bede received a great review summed up by these comments:
“Everyone seemed to love being in Bede Centre; it seemed to be a pleasant and safe environment where service users are listen to. There was so much laughter in a music group and it was obvious that everyone was enjoying themselves.”
To read the full report, please click here…
We can provide you with individual support if you need it to take part in Bede activities. You can also follow your own interests, participate in the community, and develop your skills and activities.
Education, training and preparing for employment
- We run a 12 week day time course that helps you build your personal skills by providing travel training, time management, CV preparation, and interview training.
- We help you meet new people and find work that is best suited to you.
- We can organise work experience placements in Southwark and other boroughs.
- We have helped participants find paid jobs in: Childcare, Catering, Office Administration,Cleaning, Transport and Retail.
To catch up on our latest news, take a look at our Twitter page BedePlus (@BedePlus)
Volunteering is giving some of your time to help other people. For example:
- Helping older people in their homes and gardens by being part of the Inside Outside project*
- Learning to grow fruit and vegetables on our allotment in Southwark Park
- Working for a charity in their office or shop
- Helping at a city farm
When you volunteer with Bede you get support from one of our workers. It’s a fun way to make friends, learn new things and help other people. John writes in his weekly blog: “I did some allotment work today and I’ve harvested some potatoes and runner beans. I also did the watering of all the plants.”
*Special thanks to The Funding Network for supporting our ‘Inside Outside’ project.
• Try new experiences
• Learn new skills for all areas of your life
• Make new friends
• Learn how to keep healthy and well
This short film by one of our supporters, the Arch Climbing Wall, shows some of the activities available at Bede Centre. Our thanks to them for making this video:
Bede Graffiti Hoarding Painting
Keepmoat in association with Southwark Council and Positive Arts collaborating with Bede Learning Disabilities clients, April 2016:
The Bede Café is a working café, open to the public, training you in skills for work and home to help you:
• Work as part of a team and on your own
• Learn about food hygiene and preparing food safely
• Get ready for service and clean up afterwards
• Learn how to serve customers
Thanks to our supporters:
Learning Disabilities Project
London SE16 2BS
020 7237 8930
Carole Brady (Manager)